A medieval huddle of houses surrounds the dominating Baroque Church of St Pierre.
Bédoin is divided into hamlets; the focal point being the source, essential for the vineyards, asparagus and fruit which grow here as well as the artisanal pottery activities which take place.
Bédoin is perfectly situated at the base of the snow-capped (or scree-covered in the summer) Mont Ventoux, just 35km from the capital of Provence –Avignon.
Bédoin was once a royalist village attached to the pope. In 1794, 66 villagers were succumbed to the guillotine or shot. Their homes were burnt and their places of worship destroyed. However, the oldest remaining building can still be visited –The Madeleine Chapel.
Bédoin is now a secluded yet popular holiday destination giving access to the stunning Provençal countryside, Mont Ventoux, the best wine France has to offer and family friendly homes to rent with a pool!
- Hike, Bike and zip-line on Mont Ventoux -famous for featuring often in the Tour de France
- Kids love the Llama farm
- Go canyoning in the Gorges de Nesque
- Admire the Demoiselles Coiffées -Ochre fairy chimneys
- Visit Le Barroux Castle. Combine it with the Medieval Festival if you are visiting in August
- Wander the streets, Roman ruins and the best Tuesday market in the region in the vibrant town of Vaison-la-Romaine.
- Les Dentelles de Montmirail (for hiking and rock climbing) couple it with a visit to a wine celler for an expert tasting (ask for Mathieu)
- Join an intensive wine and cooking course at the Domaine des Dentelles or even organise your luxury stay here.
- Stock up on black truffles at the Carpentras Friday morning market
Fancy staying here?
for more details or look at some other stunning properties in Provence.